Neighbor Kim writes that Friends of the Urban Forest is offering assistance to North Bernalistas who want to install sidewalk gardens in front of their homes:
Friends of the Urban Forest is doing two sidewalk plantings in Bernal in Feb/Mar and May. If people are interested they should contact Karla Nagy (firstname.lastname@example.org or 268-0788), the FUF project coordinator.
Here’s how Friends of the Urban Forest can help:
Improve your block and meet your neighbors by installing a sidewalk garden with Friends of the Urban Forest. Dealing with the permit process, designing a garden and coordinating all the materials can be expensive and overwhelming on your own. Friends of the Urban Forest coordinates neighborhood plantings, brining neighbors together to share materials and work together to install sidewalk gardens on your block on a Saturday morning.
What does FUF do?
- Review the sidewalk to determine the best location for a sidewalk garden
- Locate underground utilities
- Garden design and site plan
- File permit paperwork and act as a liaison between the city and the homeowner
- Arrange for the removal of concrete
- Coordinate the delivery of all materials, including soil amendment, mulch, plants & trees
- Provide volunteer support and tools for planting day
- And most importantly, we help secure funding to subsidize the cost of concrete removal, planting materials and the cost of the permit.
If you’re interested, you might want to attend the meeting at Charlie’s Cafe on Wednesday evening at 6:30 pm:
PHOTO: Friends of the Urban Forest